Fire Prevention Page

 
10 Tips for Fire Safety

Electrical Fire Safety
Home Fire Prevention
Fire Safety-Babysitters
Fire Safety-Disability
Fire Safety-Older Adult
Fireworks
Fire Extinguishers

Kitchen Fire Safety
Match & Lighter Safety
Preventing Burns
React Fast to Fire
Carbon Monoxide
Smoke Detectors
E.D.I.T.H.

  

PREVENTING BURNS AT HOME

Burn injuries in the home can be prevented:

In the kitchen
Unattended cooking is the leading cause of kitchen fires. Stay nearby at all times when cooking, even with microwave ovens.
Keep children and pets away from cooking food. Enforce a "kid-free zone" of 3 feet (1 meter) around your stove when cooking.
Wear clothes with tight-fitting sleeves, or roll your sleeves up to reduce the risk of your clothing catching fire.
Turn pot handles inward. Never leave them sticking out where they could be bumped or grabbed by a small child.
Don't leave spoons or other utensils in pots while cooking.
Turn burners and ovens off when they're not in use.
Keep plenty of sturdy oven mitts or pot holders near your cooking area. Using a wet pot holder can result in a severe steam burn.
Do not toss wet foods into deep-fat fryers or frying pans containing hot grease or oil. The violent reaction between the fat and water will splatter hot oil.
Remove the lids from pots of cooking liquids carefully to prevent steam burns. Remember, steam is hotter than boiling water.
If a pan of food catches fire, carefully slide a lid over the pan and turn off the burner. It is dangerous to attempt to carry the pan to the sink.
 
In microwave ovens, use only containers designed for microwave use. Let microwave-cooked foods or liquids cool before carefully removing their covers.
If you turn microwave foods during their cooking cycle, remember that the oven may be cool but the containers and food are very hot.

Hot water
Adjust your water-heater's thermostat to no more than 120 F (49 C) to prevent scalds.
Always turn on the cold water faucet first, then add hot.

Child safety
Keep matches and lighters out of children's reach - up high, preferably in a locked cabinet. Use only child-resistant lighters.
Do not allow children to play near woodstove or fireplace fires or around working space heaters.
Cover unused wall outlets with safety caps and replace all damaged, frayed, or brittle electrical cords.
Do not leave hot irons unattended.
Do not leave barbecue grills unattended, and supervise children's cookout activities, such as toasting marshmallows.
Teach your children that steam radiators, stove burners, irons, and other familiar household objects are sometimes hot and can burn them.
Test bath water by carefully circulating hand and lower arm through it before putting children in the bathtub. Provide constant supervision while bathing children.

Types of Burns

There are seven common types of burns

Flame burns, caused by direct contact the with fire.

Radiation burns, caused by close exposure to fire or high heat.

Scalds, caused by hot liquids or steam.

Contact burns, the result of touching hot objects.

Chemical burns, caused by contact with corrosive chemicals, such as battery acid.

Electrical burns, caused by contact with live electrical wires.

Ultraviolet burns, caused by over exposure to the sun or to sun lamps.

 

 

 

A matter of degrees
Burns are classified by the amount of damage done to the skin and other body tissue. Every family member should be able to identify the severity of burns and know how to treat them.

First-degree burns are minor and heal quickly. Symptoms: reddened skin; tender and sore.

Second-degree burns are serious injuries and require immediate first aid and professional medical treatment. Symptoms: blistered skin; very painful.

Third-degree burns are severe injuries and require immediate professional medical treatment. Symptoms: white, brown, or charred tissue, often surrounded by blistered areas; little or no pain at first.

If your clothing catches fire: Stop, drop, and roll


The severity of injury caused by burning clothing can be reduced by following these three simple steps.

Stop: Don't run.

Drop: Drop immediately to the floor.

Roll: Cover your face with your hands and roll over and over to smother the flames.

First aid for burns

Cool the burn: For first- and second-degree burns, cool the burned area - preferably with cool running water for 10 to 15 minutes. This lowers the skin temperature, which stops the burning process, numbs the pain, and prevents or reduces swelling. Third-degree burns require immediate medical attention.

Remove burned clothing: Lay the victim flat on his or her back. Burned clothing may be stuck to the victim's skin. Unless material is on fire or smouldering, do not attempt to remove it. Remove jewelry or tight-fitting clothing from around burned areas before swelling begins and, if possible, elevate the injured areas.

Cover the burn: After a first- or second-degree burn has been cooled, apply a clean, dry dressing to the burned area.

Don't apply butter or any other grease (including medicated ointments) on a burn. Grease holds in heat, which could make the injury worse.

Don't break blisters: This could allow germs to enter the wound.

Treat for shock: To reduce the risk of shock, keep the victim's body temperature normal. Cover unburned areas with a dry blanket.

 

 
 
 

Amity Fire District   |  401 Trade St., Amity, OR  97101   |   Tel. 503-835-2311   Fax. 503-835-3780